Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Standing in Line at the Supermarket

Mes Amis...

I haven't updated in a while... still alive... just working... In the meantime...

Behind me in the queue at the supermarket... Two guys, one oldster and one young guy. Its a long queue and the young guy's obviously bored so he starts talking to the older guy. The conversation turns to Weetabix and the young guy says...

"I cannae eat in milk. Tae soft, likes. My wee boy, he loves it, though."

The old guy is obviously bored now, doesn't say much.

"Nah, I hate it soft," says the young guy. "I'd rather hae porridge, aye? But I'm an old fashioned guy." Another pause, like he's waiting for a reply. "You dinnae get porridge in prison. Its funny that, aye? Ye dinnae get porridge in prison."

"Oh, aye."

"Cos they call it porridge, aye? Likes, aye, what they dae, is they gie ye stale bread and jam. Ye ken what they call that? A fuckin' continental breakfast... But they dinnae gie ye porridge." He thinks about this. "Mebbe if I'd eat more porridge I wouldae stayed out..."

Who needs to research the British penal system? Just go stand in the queue of your local supermarket...

Au revoir

Russel

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The people you meet ;-)

Stuart MacBride said...

"Who needs to research the British penal system? Just go stand in the queue of your local supermarket..."

Do you want to make the 'Yea, if you live in Dundee' comment, or shall I?

;}#