Saturday, April 26, 2008

The jazz musician's jazz musician's jazz musician...

Mes Amis

A sad weekend here in the UK as one of the few men who can truly be called a "national treasure" passed away. Humphrey Lyttelton was not only an amazing jaz musician (here's a clip)





but was perhaps better known - especially to people of my generation - as the host of radio 4's "antidote to panel games", I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue. Here's Humph in action introducing one of the shows courtesy of wobbly smuggle-o-cam from somewhere in the audience.



ISIHAC was a staple of Saturdays for me growing up, me and dad listening in at lunchtime, and I was still listening to the show all the way through uni and beyond. My dad likened the show to a bunch of schoolboys just having a laugh and he was absolutely right. The double (and sometimes single) entendres were quick witted and sometimes even shocking for being on the austere radio 4. And you always knew Humph was at the centre of the mischief.

So this post is, I suppose, a sort of tribute in a sense to the late Humphrey Lyttelton, a consumate entertainer and a man who will be missed in British entertainment.

Au revoir

Russel

No comments: